- 6-8 medium sized beets
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup fresh herbs and flowers (flowering cilantro, dill, mint, basil, parsley, radish flowers)
- ½ cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- ½ cup buttermilk (or mix ½ cup milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice and let sit for 10 minutes)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- ¼ cup fresh herbs, chopped (I prefer chives, parsley and dill)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400°. Place a large sheet of aluminum foil on a rimmed baking sheet. Place the beets on foil with 1 tablespoon oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Pull the edges of the aluminum foil together and crimp closed.
Place in the oven and roast until the beets are tender, about 45 minutes. Once removed from the oven, use tongs to open the foil packet allowing the beets to cool for about 20 minutes or until they can be easily handled. Either with gloves, or using a paper towel, rub the beet skins off.
Using the bottom of a heavy skillet or bowl crush the beets until they are about 1” thick. Season with salt and pepper.
Place Greek yogurt, buttermilk, garlic, shallot, lemon juice, mustard, chopped herbs, salt and pepper in a food processor and pulse until all ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a large cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Add beets and cook until browned, 3-4 minutes each side.
Transfer to a platter and drizzle with the herby ranch dressing, herbs & flowers and a heavy drizzle of olive oil.